Friday, June 30, 2017

Weeks 3-4: I may not have the experience of security, but I do have the security of experience

Admittedly, I still had to read up again about last week's topics from the INFOSEC Moodle page. Okay, so my memory is bad. On the plus side though, of the 26 pages that chapter two has, I'm already at page 12. Heh heh. I'm gonna stop right here though since I still have this learning log to write. Without any more stalling, let's see what I learned these past two weeks...
I find it really amazing that the world of security really gets complicated, especially in the corporate world. I remember that discussion about the structure of privileges in a given system (a simple information filing system for example). These were the Biba and Clark and the other models. Honestly, I haven't even thought of that type of controlling a person's privileges. It seems that security is a lot more nuanced than I that it would be. Honestly, whenever I see the word "security", I (almost) always make it relative to my course - which is of course all about computers. Who would've thought that security would go beyond a simple "firewall"? I guess I have a lot to learn. For instance, password policies are something that I thought that people don't really use anymore with the mindset that everything has been entrusted to super high-tech computer related stuff. After what I've read in this chapter though, I can clearly see that the security is layered.
Going to the research paper I have to say that it's progressing rather well. I've had about 16 research papers now as reference. True, almost all of these papers were locked behind paywalls, but who could really resist the power of SciHub? With a bit of luck, I'm sure that roughly 2/3 of the paper should be done by the end of this coming week.
Phew, it's already 11PM. I guess it's time to wrap up this post. Until next time dear reader!!! Let's pray for a more engaging literary result next time yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment