Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Weeks 1-2: Maybe we can Just Kill Management?

Pretty curious title eh? Well, it won't probably be so strange if: a) You are a person working in a company as an IT employed, or b) you're a student (or at the least, was a student) in a class like Information Systems and Security. I mean, how hard do real-life financial management company sectors have to be argued with before they give in and invest in security measures before the unthinkable happens? Really, escapsim coupled with greed can really turn heads faster and in more degrees than Emily Rose's.
I'm getting ahead of myself aren't I? Since I haven't had the time (nor the motivation) to create an introductory post, let me fill you in on what INFOSEC is really about.
Per syllabus, this is what INFOSEC is: This course primarily discusses the various domains of security such as physical security, operational security, network security, host security, application security etc. I just have to tell you, I had to type all that, since the PDF in Moodle doesn't support copy-pasting for some reason. Putting it from my perspective though, INFOSEC is more of exploring concepts of various types of security, answering more of why's rather than the more practical how's. Kinda like data structures as compared to CSPROJ, or something like that.
Getting down to these weeks' highlights, we had an activity in which we were to solve a case study about a grocery store facing about P60,000 in lost merchandise. It didn't help that the store employs an honesty system. It was also explicitly stated that management can no longer allocate budget. Now, we were told not to overthink, but telling me not to overthink is like telling someone not to think of a red elephant eating a watermelon while riding a unicycle. Cutting to the chase, we made a solution changing only policies and not involving any more costs, though judging from the prof's reaction, it wasn't really satisfactory. Look's like from now on, I'll have to think more of a person really defending a cause that's good for the company. It's already 11:04, so, ciao!

1 comment:

  1. haha don't pay too much attention on my reaction. your presentation was satisfactory ;)

    ReplyDelete